St. John Fisher Church submitted an application for Conditional Use Permit #96 – Revision “D”, a Grading Permit, Minor Exception Permit and Sign Program to establish a Master Plan for the St. John Fisher Church and school property.
The first public hearing was held before the Planning Commission to discuss the proposed project, including the proposed DRAFT MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION, on Tuesday, June 24, 2008. On October 14, 2008, the Planning Commission adopted Resolution No. 2008-34, thereby certifying the Mitigated Negative Declaration and approving the Mitigation Monitoring Program for the St. John Fisher Master Plan Case No. ZON2007-00492 and Resolution No. 2008-35, thereby conditionally approving the St. John Fisher Master Plan, including CUP #96 – Revision “D,” Grading Permit, Minor Exception Permit and Sign Permit for Case No. ZON2007-00492.
On October 29, 2008, the project was appealed to the City Council by local residents. The first public hearing was held before the City Council to discuss the appeal, including the proposed MITIGATED NEGATIVE DECLARATION, on Tuesday, November 18, 2008. On February 17, 2009, the City Council denied the appeal of the St. John Fisher Master Plan and adopted the conditions of approval set forth by the Planning Commission with specific modifications.
Project Site Description
The St. John Fisher property is located at 5448 Crest Road, on the southeast corner of the intersection at Crest Road and Crenshaw Boulevard. The property is currently developed with an elementary school (K-8), administrative/parish offices, recreational hall (Barrett Hall), rectory (priest’s residence), convent (no longer in use) and sanctuary. The existing campus is sited 15 – 20 feet above the adjacent streets, Crest Road and Crenshaw Boulevard.
There are two access driveways for ingress/egress on the property. One driveway is located at the southwest corner of the property and ascends approximately 43 feet from Crenshaw Boulevard (elevation 1182) to the main parking lot (average elevation 1225), A second driveway is located at the northeast corner of the property and ascends approximately 30 feet from Crest Road (elevation 1195) to the main parking lot (average elevation 1225).
Proposed Project Description
The approved project includes a major remodel and expansion of the existing facilities. Details of the proposed project are listed below:
A request to construct a combined total of 32,426 square feet of new building area to the existing site as delineated below:
- A new 17,000 square foot sanctuary (to replace the existing 15,402 square foot sanctuary) to be located at the northwest corner of the subject property. The sanctuary also includes a 900 square foot basement for the housing of mechanical equipment. The new sanctuary will be circular in shape, whereby the main structure will range in height from 15’-0” at the northeast end of the structure to 43’-0” at the southwest end. In addition, the new sanctuary will include a steeple, at the west end of the structure, with a maximum height of 60’-0” to the top of the steeple and 74’-0” to the top of the cross which will be affixed to the top of the steeple.
- A new 9,788 square foot administration building (7,488 square foot first floor and 2,300 square foot basement)
- A 1,074 square foot addition for the creation of a new two-classroom preschool (currently no preschool on-site)
- A new 1,289 square foot art room at the northwest corner of the existing classrooms
- A new 1,217 square foot school library at the northeast corner of the existing classrooms
- A 304 square foot expansion to Barrett Hall for storage area
- A new 454 square foot garage at the southeast corner of the property, adjacent to the priest’s new residence (previously nun’s residence)
- A 400 square foot addition north of the existing music room to accommodate two (2) new offices
In addition to the proposed new construction, the applicant is proposing to demolish a combined total of 10,329 square feet of the existing facilities (offices, youth building and existing priest residence) and remodel 26,544 square feet of the existing structures (existing nun’s residence to be converted to priest’s residence, existing sanctuary to be converted to new gymnasium, office areas and classrooms).
A total of 30,688 cubic yards of grading is required (19,694 cubic yards of raw cut and 10,994 cubic yards of fill to be reused on-site) to accommodate the new construction, major remodel, proposed retaining walls and new parking lot. A total of 8,700 cubic yards of earthwork will be exported from the property.
The existing property has a total of 359 parking spaces with 0 loading spaces. As the new sanctuary will be located on a portion of the existing parking lot, the applicant is grading and reconfiguring the parking lot at the south end of the property to accommodate a total of 331 parking spaces with 3 loading spaces. The total number of proposed parking spaces is based on a parking needs analysis for the highest peak hour of operation. In addition to the 331 required parking spaces, the property will also accommodate 23 additional seasonal/peak parking spaces which are only permitted to be used when St. John Fisher Elementary School or Preschool are not in session.
The applicant is proposing to phase the project. Phase One would include the construction of the new sanctuary, a remodel of the existing sanctuary into a gymnasium, parking and site work improvements, and demolition of the existing rectory and conversion of the existing convent into a new rectory for the priests’ living quarters. Phase Two would include remodeling the existing administration building and constructing the new administration building, preschool, library and art room.
Planning Entitlements for Phase Two of the Project will remain in full force and effect for a maximum of five (5) years from February 17, 2009 unless construction plans for the final phase of construction have been submitted to Building and Safety for plan check
For further information about the St. John Fisher Master Plan Project, please contact Leza Mikhail with the City of Rancho Palos Verdes at 310-544-5228 or via email at email@example.com
- Approximate Phase One Construction Schedule
- Final MND Resolution
- Final Mitigation Monitoring Program
- Final SJF Master Plan Resolution
- Final Master Plan Conditions of Approval
- February 17, 2009 City Council Staff Report and Resolutions
- January 21, 2009 City Council Staff Report and Resolutions
- December 16, 2008 City Council Staff Report and Attachments
- November 18, 2008 City Council Staff Report
- Late Correspondence November 18, 2008 CC Meeting
- Project Plans November 2008 (Revised Plans)
- Notice of Appeal to City Council
- Planning Commission Resolution 2008-34 – MND & MMP
- Planning Commission Resolution 2008-35 – Project
- Planning Commission Notice of Decision and Conditions
- Late Correspondence for October 14, 2008 PC meeting
- October 14, 2008 Staff Report and Draft Resolutions
- Late Correspondence distributed at the 9-23-08 Planning Commission Meeting
- September 23, 2008 Planning Commission Staff Report & Attachments - (Please allow time to download as the file is large) - Click here to download Adobe Reader if you currently do not have it.
- Carillon Sound Study
- Late correspondence distributed at the July 22, 2008 Planning Commission Meeting
- July 22, 2008 Planning Commission Staff Report
- Revised Sanctuary Design Plan July 2008
- Public Notice (July 22, 2008 Planning Commission Public Hearing)
- June 24, 2008 Planning Commission Staff Report
- Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration
- Public Notice (June 24, 2008 Planning Commission Public Hearing)
- Project Plans January 2008 (Architectural, Parking and Grading Plans)
If you would like to be placed on an interested parties list to receive public notices or other periodic updates on the St. John Fisher Master Plan Project via e-mail, you may subscribe by joining the list server group here.