Western Avenue Vision Plan status as of May 1, 2013)
On April 20, 2013, an Open House was conducted to provide the public with the opportunity to view the work that had been conducted thus far and to provide comment and feedback, and share ideas with the consultant. Please click on the link below to view the powerpoint presentation that was used during the open house.
Based upon the comments received during the open house and the input from the Working Group, the consultant will be preparing a Draft Western Avenue Vision Plan, which will serve as a visionary framework plan to revitalize Western Avenue through aesthetic improvements, transit improvements and alternative methods, and business incentives. The Draft will be presented to the Planning Commission on May 28, 2013, and will be considered by the City Council on June 18, 2013.
In the meantime, City Staff will be applying for another grant from SCAG’s Compass Blueprint Demonstration Project to develop design guidelines and standards for implementing the ideas contained in the Vision Plan.
Western Avenue Vision Plan (as of April 1, 2013)
Western Avenue Vision Plan (as of April 1, 2013)
In developing the Vision Plan, a Vision Working Group has been created to help steer the Vision Plan effort. The Working Group is comprised of various stakeholders, which includes residents, business owners, Chambers of Commerce, and Staff from both the City of Rancho Palos Verdes and the City of Los Angeles. Also joining in this effort is a Staff member from Los Angeles City Councilman Buscaino’s office.
The Group has met several times with the consulting firm to discuss ideas about Western Avenue and establish guiding principles and aspirations in creating the Vision Plan document, which include:
- Improving the public realm, storefronts and the overall perception of the street
- Create diversity in retail, access and mobility
- Create amenities and destination for visitors and residents
- Partnerships to market the Western Avenue brand and corridor
In preparation to develop the Vision Plan, much research has been conducted in obtaining demographic information, parcel and business inventories, parking inventory, and bicycle and transit feasibility studies. The consultant has taken the Working Group’s input and an Open House has been scheduled for April 20th, at Peck Park in San Pedro, to provide the public with the opportunity to share ideas, see the work in progress, and provide feedback to our team. This is your opportunity to help us create a vision to improve Western Avenue!
Please click on the link below to view the Open House flyer. Hope to see you there!!!!!
Western Avenue Vision Plan (as of August 2012)
The City was informed by SCAG in October 2011 that a $120,000 grant was awarded to the City under its Compass Blueprint Demonstration Project. These Demonstration Project are driven by the following four key principles:
- Mobility – Getting where we want to go
- Livability – Creating positive communities
- Prosperity – Long-term health for the region
- Sustainability – Promoting efficient use of natural resources
The grant allows the City to obtain services from a consulting firm to develop a Western Avenue Vision Plan for the purpose of identifying planning options and sustainable economic development opportunities for the Western Avenue corridor.
The City has selected the consulting firm AECOM to perform the work in developing the Western Avenue Vision Plan. AECOM is familiar with the South Bay and San Pedro area, and most recently developed the specific plan for the waterfront area of the LA Harbor.
Staff envisions the creation of a visionary framework plan to revitalize Western Avenue through aesthetic improvements, transit improvements and alternative methods, and business incentives. In summary, City Staff believes that the document should accomplish the following core objectives:
- Develop an identity/brand for the Western Avenue corridor.
- Develop guidelines and policy that unify the overall vision for the Western Avenue corridor;
- Increase streetscape beautification through innovative, urban greening design solutions that increase walk ability and provide environmental benefits;
- Strengthen the core Western Avenue business and residential identity, and increase community appeal;
- Improve multi-modal transit integration, diversity, frequency and efficiency;
- Analyze and assess renovation possibilities for existing property owners, mixed-use potential, and merger/consolidation of parcels to create greater development and circulation (vehicular, bicycle and pedestrian) improvement opportunities;
- Improve the pedestrian and bicyclist experience and connectivity to the greater City through identification of paths and/or trails.
- Increase economic activity of the corridor through business development, signage and marketing, and creating incentives for property/business owners to renovate their buildings and/or properties; and,
City Staff has met with AECOM to discuss these objectives, discuss the area’s background, and what the City expects from this process. Development of the Vision Plan will take about 9 months, and should be completed in the first quarter of 2013. In developing the Vision Plan, a Vision Working Group has been created to help steer the Vision Plan effort. The Working Group is comprised of various stakeholders, which includes residents, businesses, Chambers of Commerce, and Staff from both the City of Rancho Palos Verdes and the City of Los Angeles.
A public outreach/workshop will be held to obtain comments and feedback, all to ensure that the Vision Plan reflects the community’s vision for Western Avenue, envisioned to be conducted in early 2013.
For further information about the Western Avenue Vision Plan, please contact Senior Planner Eduardo Schonborn with the City of Rancho Palos Verdes at 310-544-5228, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Western Avenue Corridor Vision Plan – Draft, June 2013
- Western Avenue Corridor Vision Plan – Draft, May 2013
- Click here to view the Open House Presentation, April 20, 2013
- Click here to view the Open House Flyer
- Click here to view the Western Avenue Grant application